Safety and security
Safety is an essential aspect of our business. It ensures credibility and reliability to the Port businesses. The international community has imposed, through the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS), the implementation, by all maritime and port actors, of security measures aimed at preventing any attempt of malicious acts against the maritime transport chain including ports, vessels, people, and goods.
As part of the implementation of ISPS code measures and to bring its security organization up to the level of the requirements of the European Directive No. 65/2005, Tanger Med Port Authority ensures the implementation of the security measures described in the Port Security Plan. The Port Security Officer coordinates security measures with all the facilities in the Port Complex, all of which have ISPS compliance statements issued by the relevant authority.
The multiplicity of activities, the importance of infrastructure, as well as the diversity of flows at Tanger Port Complex has necessitated the establishment of an effective security organization based primarily on risk prevention and rapid response in case of fire or other disasters in the Port Zone.
This performance of Tanger Med Port, in terms of security, has been achieved thanks to the following actions:
- Creation, within Tanger Med Port Authority, of a department exclusively in charge of Port Security and made up of Merchant Marine officers totally dedicated to security management
- Certification in ISO standards of quality management, environment, health, and safety at work in accordance with ISO 9001-2015, ISO 14001-2015, and ISO 45001-2018
- Strong commitment of the Port Authority to environmental protection, sustainable development, and energy efficiency
- Performing hazard studies to identify and evaluate the risks that may threaten the Port Zone, defining accident scenarios, and developing and implementing measures and emergency plans to ensure the prevention and effective organization of fire and other disaster response operations
- Effective management of dangerous goods sent through the Port Zone in accordance with national and international requirements
- Conducting emergency simulation exercises at the Port, at national and international levels to strengthen the capacity and preparedness of the Port Complex to deal with a major disaster.
- A dedicated fire station for Port firefighters is available within the Port Area, responsible for risk prevention, surveillance, and intervention in the event of fire or other disasters, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is equipped with adequate human resources and the necessary equipment to fight fires and other disasters within the limits of the Port Complex which has become, as such, the first Moroccan port to have a team of Port firefighters
- Setting up a 24/7 emergency care center in the Port area for the Port community and vessel crews, to reinforce its intervention and rescue means in case of accidents or other medical emergencies. It is equipped with a medical team, made up of doctors and emergency nurses, an infirmary equipped with the necessary medical supplies, and two ambulances that are available for this emergency center to ensure the ground transport of people.
- Development and implementation of training programs to enable response teams of Port officers and Port firefighters to acquire the necessary skills and new techniques for fighting fires and other disasters.
- “Safety for life” is the principle adopted by TMPA and all port operators at Tanger Port Complex because safety is everyone’s responsibility. For this reason, safety management at Tanger Med port is part of a partnership approach between the Port Authority and the terminal concessionaires.
Need assistance ?
Contact Tanger Med Management Team
Aramex sets up at Med hub
ARAMEX Group has recently opened its 2,500 m² logistics warehouse (for...
Certification of Medhub’s environmental management and...
MEDHUB, the manager of Tanger Med Logistics Zone, has received certific...